Friday, May 11, 2012

6 months to go...

It's been a few months since my last post. A sign of how hectic my schedule has been this year so far.  Working, Zumba, running, raising a child and I started CPA. Yep I've been busy.

So what have I been up too since my last post.?? Let's see...

Whilst not running, I've been ramping up my swimming this year after competing in the Australian Masters Games last October, the Australian Nationals were held in Adelaide in April, so I was keeping up my swimming training to be able to compete.

Back to my running though.

Dolphin Run - an event held by SARRC was on 5th February.  I had only intended on entering the 5km run and make it a speed event.
Woke up that morning (early!!), the event started at 7.30am ish at Semaphore along the esplanade.  It was raining possibly as hard as it could.  Thoughts went through my head to pull out - it would be silly to run in such extreme conditions (extreme... really?) Anyway that thought didn't last long, I mean what if it was raining in New York, I'm not going to pull out of that.  So I went, the rain didn't ease at all, it was bucketing down the entire run.  It was freezing, and I had a total brain fade and didn't take a jumper or a towel to dry myself with.  I also thought running with my ipod was a good idea.

The rain affected my phone, so therefore stuffed up my run keeper and also wrecked my headphones.  Despite all of this I completed the run in a new PB for me. I think it was the cold, rainy conditions that made me run faster so I could get home quicker.

Pretty proud of my efforts on this run.  There was an older lady that come up to me at the end and thanked me for being her inspiration.  She was getting over a chest infection and was struggling to breath throughout the run and had to stop quite a few times. She had a fast pace so always managed to claw back the distance to me after a short break.  She said I was the inspiration she needed to keep going.  Poor lady! But I felt a sense of yaay-ness for inspiring someone else.

Next event was the Greenbelt half marathon - again put on by SARRC.  SA road runners club for those playing at home.  I completed the 10km even for this as I was always training up to do the half marathon at Barossa - in a few weeks.

But in between Dolphin and Greenbelt, I cancelled my gym membership and bought myself a treadmill for home.  I found I was only using the treadmill at the gym, so why not just get one for home. I get to stay home and can train whenever I liked.

Easter.... We went up the shack as we always do. I did a run along the road from the Shack to Aruma Resort which is a 8km round trip, well that was always my intention, but after a few drinkies the night before it was suggested that I should in fact go further than Aruma and run up the hill part. So I did. Went up the the look out and took some photos, then ran back - all up 9.5km trip.  And at a pretty reasonable pace as well. Felt really great on my legs and no knee or ankle pain during or after.

So then CPA study took over and the running slowed down quite considerably.  Then come Greenbelt.
I'd bought some energy gels as I want to use them for Barossa half, so I thought I'd try one out for Greenbelt.  Took it  10mins before the start and I reckon it kicked in around the 5km mark.  I felt AMAZING. No fatigue, no leg soreness, and also felt strong with my breathing.  I had decided ages ago to turn off the coaching on my runkeeper as it was doing my head in, so I had no idea what my pace was. But wanted to complete in an hour (so a 6min/km pace) as that's about where I had left off over a month ago.  Was pretty pleased to firstly not have stopped during the run, but also to come in at 1hr 1min.  Got home, put my skins on, legs felt fantastic afterwards.

So... Barossa half marathon... yes 21.1 fricken kilometres is next.  2 weeks Sunday to be exact.  Not worried about it at all though.  I've done the distance before, and I'm really not worried about times anymore.  I have an idea what I think I can do it in. But I'm not going to get all emotional if I go slower.   My lead up hasn't been ideal.

Downloaded a training program from ASICS, that I'll commence after Barossa.  Looking forward to the next 6 months of training actually. It's getting closer and starting to become a reality now.  Starting to sink in... yes in 6 months I'll be running one of the worlds biggest and most prestigious marathons.

On the fundraising front... first event is next Saturday (19th May) Quiz Night at the Morphett Vale Football Club.  Have lots of people coming and have been blown away by the generosity of the business's that have kindly donated items for the raffle.

Til next time... and it won't be so long I promise.
NY Kel
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment