Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1 month in ....

So January was a pretty busy month!  Hadn't done a lot of actual running towards the end of 2011, and with Resolution Run looming in the 2nd week of January I had my work cut out to get back my running pace.

I officially started following a 20 week program for running a half marathon.  Which initially starts off with 3 runs per week at a nice casual pace - so you can still talk.... cos you really want to be having a full on conversation with someone whilst you are running??  The first run was probably the worst - I'd not run for a period of time for a while, but I got through it okay.  Surprising what you are capable of when you have a target time or distance in mind.

Next run was Resolution Run at the Adelaide Zoo on 13th Jan.  7.5km - which turned out to be 7.8km because they had to change the finish as they thought too many people around the zoo would freak the animals out or something.?  They didn't tell us this until it actually finished.  Whilst I've always put really high expectations on myself for running time, I did my best pace per km that I'd done in a longer distance run - and that is even with 2 months off getting over my knee injury so I was pretty pleased with my efforts.  But I will say... I do not like running in the early evening.  It may have been that I hadn't hydrated properly during the day - not sure?

Here is a couple of photos from the day:
 Simone and I before the run

Sally, Jodie and I - clearly after the run! Shredded!

Since this event, I've just been concentrating on getting some km's on the board with my training.  I also participated in the Facebook KM challenge a few of my friends were doing in January.  Basically 'like' my status and I'll dedicate a km for you to be completed by 31st Jan.  I ended up with 100km to complete and I agreed to do this either as a run, bike, swim or walk.

100km easily completed and I reckon it actually helped boost my cardio fitness back to where it was and more so since before christmas.

The proof was at a SARRC event on Sunday 5th Feb at Semaphore - the 5 or 10km Dolphin Run.  And boy were we dolphins!!.  It was pouring with rain and so good to see everyone still out there slogging it out.  I entered the 5km event as a chance to test my speed.  And was surprised to have knocked 40sec of my per km pace.

No events lined up for a while, I might try my hand at a mini triathlon at the end of March for something different, otherwise the next 'event' will be the Greenbelt marathon on 29th April. As I'm building up to run the Barossa as a half, I'll enter this event doing 10km.  By then 10km should be a breeze!  Until then, I'll keep slogging it out on the treadmill and the pavement.  I'm going to start incorporating some strength training as well to mix things up a bit.

On the fundraising side of things, I've booked in my first event.  A Wine Tasting evening which will be held at The Griffins Head on Tuesday 20th March.  For a minimal entry fee, you can come along and taste wines from about 4 different wineries, with the option of buying full glasses at a ridiculous price per glass.  Tuesday is also Steak night at the Griffins so why not stay and have a steak with your lovely glass of wine.  Raffles on the night to win some cool wine prizes.  Hope to see you all there.  Thanks to Drew from the Griffins. 

A Quiz night in the southern suburbs is also being organised and will be towards the end of April.  I have an AMAZING photography raffle available on that night! You don't want to miss out it!!  More details to follow for both.

There is no chance I could do any of this without an amazing support network.  Trent - for being the parent so I can get out the house to train as much as I am. Also for supporting me taking on my Zumba classes to earn the bucks to go towards our trip to America.  Simone Harvey - for doing heaps and heaps!! Narelle Smith - your assistance with the Wine night has been fantastic and also your trip notes for America!  Brandon Scammell for making a few phone calls for me!  There are so many people to thank! And I appreciate everything that anyone has done for me so far.

Til next time
NY Kel
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment