Wednesday, October 17, 2012

14 sleeps til we leave!!

Well and truly on the count down now.  Although some how it doesn't seem real again.  It 2 weeks right now I'll be on the plane from Sydney to LA.  Amazing!

So, last post I talked about upping the long runs each week to add a few km's on.  Not every week went to plan.  But I'm happy with what I've done.  It's too late now anyway.

City to Bay on 16th Sept. 12km.  Spot on 80mins. Felt really comfortable run and had no pace in mind, so it was refreshing to not have any expectations on myself and just run.  Ran with Leanne Green and Assunta Marshall.  First time for Assunta to run the event and Leanne had a time in mind... amazingly 80mins!! It was really great to run with friends.

Other run wise:
27km on 9th Sept.  Running around near home, discovered how steep Regency Road really is.  Not too bad a run and about on pace to what I think is achievable for New York.  It was a tiny bit warm on the day so faded a little towards the end but happy with the distance.

32k on 22nd Sept.  Really bad run for me.  I have been quite naughty and not stretching.  Which I have found out later how much of a mistake this has been.  So I started to cramp up about 16km, then had a massive anxiety attack at about 18km. There was no way I thought I could make it.  Luckily Brad was there to encourage me to push through. Managed to make the 32k but was ridiculously slow and painful.

Lost a lot of confidence after that run.  Decided to take the next weekend off to re-coup and re-invigorate myself and get a bit of confidence back.

Next run on 6th October aiming for around 26-28km.  Had been suffering a cold and turned out not so ideal to be trying to run too far. Managed to struggle through 23km.  Still lacking confidence!  BUT I had started a proper stretching regime and it seemed to be working.

Next corporate cup event I ran pretty much my fastest time and it felt great. No soreness, no pain. Just running!  Felt really great.

So gearing up for my last long run before starting to taper off.  Aiming for 34km on 14th October, which leaves 3 weeks til the big day.  The temperature wasn't going to be ideal for running - 27 or something. Started off at 7.30am from Highbury along the Linear Path into the city.  Ran to the circus on Bonython Park and turned around and come back.  Ended up with 34.24km.  Not a bad pace, had a few clothing malfunctions and not happy with my arm pod for the iphone again. But got there in the end. It was warm and that affected me towards the end.  If it was race day could I have added on another 8km??? Of course!!

This run made me super confident again! Time was good. Legs felt good.  Really really happy to have ended my last big training session on a good run like this.

So what now.  Resting, few short runs, lots of stretching and packing.!!!

All my life I've wanted to go to America.  For a while (not since starting to run in the last 18 months) I've wanted to do a marathon.  In just over 2 weeks I can tick both of these things off my list.  Still unbelieveable!!

So to some exciting things.  Received my running top! Yaay and it looks amazing and is really comfy to run in.



Plus have received my registration card which has all my start details on.  Don't have a picture of that, but I am 39998 Blue Wave#3 and Corral#39.  Which means I'm starting on the right hand side up the top of the Verrazanno Bridge at 10.30am New York Time.

On the fundraising side of things.  I MADE IT!!!  Quiz night, Zumba event and some kind donations my some awesome friends I got to my target of $7,500.  Such a relief to have that out of the way now.  As it meant that if I didn't raise that much, I didnt' get to run!!

So a MASSIVE thanks to everyone that assisted in any way to help me raise this money for the Heart Foundation.  Something that is close to my heart (no pun intended!)

So with not much time to go. ... I'm getting really excited!  Will blog one more post before I leave.

Til then
NY Kel
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment