Sunday, August 19, 2012

11 weeks today!!! On the Count down

Probably not the ideal time to be writing on my blog as I sit on the couch in a world of pain after running a half marathon this morning.  But here goes anyway.

Since my last update I've had 1 fundraising event. 23rd July at Zumba with Nat and De, we had an in-house Zumbathon.  Nat and I put on a class of the favourite tracks and we had 36 ladies come along in support of me and the Heart Foundation.  Never seen the hall packed out as much as that before.  In total raised $300 and had a tonne of fun (and a few glasses of bubbles after the class).
Here's a pic of us all after the class



Not on the running side of things, but had the last swimming interclub meet at the start of August and I ended up winning my age group for all the Interclub meets for SA. And will be presented with a medal at the Presentation Dinner the day we land back in Australia after the trip to the US and A.

Back to the running.

29th July was the Hills to Henley 15k event. Started at Adelaide rowing club near the convention centre and ran along the linear trail out the Henley Beach. Always a really nice run along the linear path.  Finished in 1hr36, so a pace of 6:19.  Felt pretty good on the run and really happy with that time. It's consistent with where I have been lately.

I had only run twice in the week leading up to this event, and these were the only 2 runs I had done in 5 weeks.  I was struck down with the flu as I mentioned in my prior blog update, so to have this pace over 15km was not a bad effort.

The week after H2H the Corporate Cup started.  I had developed an issue with my right knee, probably too much Zumba, but what can you do!!  I ran the first CC with a really sore knee and posted probably my worst time for a short event - 7km. But as the CC is all about improvement then I'm not stressed.

But I had to get my knee checked out.  Visit to Dr Brad fixed it right up, but couldn't run for about 4-5 days.  All I had coming up commitment wise was the final swim meet for Interclubs.  And I knew I could give my knee the rest it needed as we were then off to Sydney for World Time Attack and the schedule didn't allow for any training. But being at the race track for 3 full days I was wrecked anyway.

So since getting back from Sydney has seen the running of the 2nd corporate cup, and knocked 2 mins off my time.

Which brings us to today.  The Athletes Foot Adelaide Marathon where I ran the half.  Feeling completely shattered at the moment, as you do.  After my first half my hips were quite sore, today not so much, just in a bit of struggle town with my knee, so think I'm going to have to get it looked at again.

So today... I really wanted to run this half faster than the Barossa, which was a 2hr16min race.  But on the other hand I didn't want the pressure of a time to make me run too fast and tire out.  I was a bit nervous as again I don't think my actual running training is adequate, but my cardio fitness is there being active with other things (Zumba and Swimming).  Wore my new Skins top to stop rubbing on my arms and again my NB sneakers proving their worth.  Never had an issue with rubbing, blisters, black toe nails.  They rock!!  The course was changed from last year to be purely around the CBD and a bit of Nth Adelaide finishing at University Oval.

It was a semi challenging course and there were a few inclines, but overall it was a really nice course and felt much more among spectators than a run along linear.  Started off reasonable.  KM 4/5 was a struggle as that was a bit uphill through North Adelaide then I think I settled into my pace after that.  Started to hurt at 17km again and felt like I was struggling to breath.  It took a lot of mental strength to not lay down and give up. I really wanted too.  I knew I was on a faster pace so just had to stay with it and trust that my legs would get me there.  It was good to see Trent and Amali with just under 1km to go.  Ended up with a time of 2hr13min, so a 3min PB.  YAAY!

My knee is killing me now, the rest of me not too bad.  Really wondering how I could go on and run another 21km after that!!! I guess in 11 weeks time I'll find out.  And I've got that long to make sure my legs are in shape.

Whats next... Quiz night 8th Sept, City to Bay 16th Sept, Zumba event 23rd Sept, McLaren Vale half 14th Oct.

Until next time

Kel
x

No comments:

Post a Comment